In this recent video, I talk about how to properly perform the side plank and I show you an advanced progression of the side plank that challenges the neuromuscular components of the body.
Key Coaching Cues and Tips when performing the side plank include:
- Focus on maintaining a neutral spine (e.g., Make the neck and downwards is in a good straight alignment)
- Brace the Anterior Core (Focus on contracting your abdominals)
- Squeeze the Glutes
- Optional (Place top hand on opposite shoulder in order to take stress off top shoulder. Note: Top hand can also be placed on the top hip and pressure can be applied to make the plank more challenging)
- Optional (Feet can be stacked or the top foot/leg can be placed out in front of the body. Note: For the progression the top foot/leg needs to placed out in front of the body)
- Advanced Progression: Focus on slightly rotating the spine forward and then returning back to neutral)